2018+ Ford EcoSport banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2018 EcoSport isn't on sale yet, but journalists has already had a chance to see it up close and Automotive News has compiled a few comments to highlight what they think of the new Ford Ecosport.

This one pretty much sums up the Ecosport for me:

“From its platform and powertrains to its styling and technology, the new 2018 EcoSport is a veritable smorgasbord of Ford. While a lightly used and larger Escape probably makes more sense, the lure of the new car is strong, and especially in the more expensive SES and Titanium trims, Ford makes it easy to accept less in order to get more.”
It has everything you would want in a subcompact crossover and more especially with the spare tire and swing out gate.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Spare tire has little relevance to most buyers and even more so with a product like this that appeals to the masses who for the most part live in the city or suburbs. So for a lot of those people having a tire patch kit if they're willing to do it themselves or call up a roadside service are both valuable options, most just go right for roadside.

Some people can't even fathom the idea of changing their own wheel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Perhaps that's not really a selling point to the masses, but the EcoSport's versatility may be.

“Don't look for the EcoSport to be an off-roader like the Renegade, but it should be capable of crawling up more than just a dirt road thanks to its global origination. After all, it needs to be as useful in Siberia as it does in South Beach to be a success.
Most people will never go off road aside from the hard packed dirt paths here and there, but we do like the option to do so and that sells.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The furthest off-road this will be to me will be on the sands of the beach.. not bad at all as it's all packed very well. But I agree, don't care for the spare tire on the gate, that's meh. For those that are expecting the EcoSport to be some sort of off-road capable vehicle, they definitely have another thing coming to them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll satisfy the needs of most people with enough off road capability to take it camping. It comes with all-wheel drive and that's generally a pretty expensive feature.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's essentially all it really needs to do. Thankfully the AWD would be great for the snowy weather I have to endure up here so that'll be a great help. Still gonna run some real good winter tires though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Winter safety is mostly reliant on winter tires, but AWD does help and the money you save can go to a better set. The 2018 EcoSport doesn't stand out in terms of design, but it ahs everything you really need and probably more in an affordable package.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yup, and that's what they were aiming for. Millennials that don't have all the money to spend, but can afford something that tends to majority if not all of their needs and the features to satisfy them on the tech side of things.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Winter tires trump all, AWD and any other system just complements having a good set of tires and a good winter driving ability.

But most people lack the skill nor understand how important having winter tires are, sadly enough.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Can't agree with that more. On the other hand, you have the bunch that think all they need are good winter tires and that it'll magically make them immune to sticky situations and put way too much faith in them alone.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The best combination people in colder climates can get when it comes to the EcoSport is AWD, ABS, and winter tires. Perhaps pay a bit more for whichever trim they come with and you're most likely going to be safer for it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thankfully they don't sell vehicles without ABS anymore so that's not an issue. Would be interested to see what the optional winter tires would be though as I'm pretty picky when it comes to them. AWD is something that is a well spent dollar for sure though. Extremely helpful and just overall worth it. Yeah you'll burn a bit more gas but with added safety, why not.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In order of importance I would say its Winter Tires, ABS and then AWD.

Fortunately most cars come with ABS, now its only when shopping for motorcycles that ABS is a growing standard feature or something you can opt for.

So in that case Winter Tires and ABS will always be the bread and butter of my winter driving.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I've noticed with the North America EcoSport pages is the missing tailgate mounted spare wheel. Odd that the feature isn't really advertised on their site if we're expecting to get it in the new model.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You mean placed under the cargo floor? That could be a possibility, but I I prefer the rear mounted version for aesthetics too. Perhaps we just need to ask about it when ordering one?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spare tires usually run a bit smaller than the stock tires unless you plan to get a full sized one. Maybe it'll fit under the EcoSport's cargo leveler. It could be deep enough for one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Anyone planning to drive long distances for work or whatever it may be needs to keep a full size spare. Those "donuts" are only meant for short distant driving. Being out on the road far from home who knows when you'll find a reputable wheel/tire shop.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's definitely a good idea to head straight to a shop after installing a spare donut on your car. I've had it personally happen twice and I either went into work late or took the day off, it's just not safe to take your chances rolling around with it, especially if you're doing highway driving

1 - 20 of 41 Posts