2018+ Ford EcoSport banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2020 Ecosport S with the 1.0 engine. Ford has a towing PDF which states:

Frontal Area Limitations/Considerations

EcoSport 20 sq. ft. All Applications

Frontal Area is the total area in square feet that a moving vehicle and trailer exposes
to air resistance. The chart above shows the limitations that must be considered in
selecting a vehicle/trailer combination. Exceeding these limitations may significantly
reduce the performance of your towing vehicle.

This makes no sense because the 2019 version says 12 square feet, but not only that the front of the Ecosport is 31.6 square feet (70 inches by 65 inches). If the limit is actually 20 square feet, then the Ecosport exceeds it's own limit. Has anyone actually towed a cargo or small camper like the scamp trailers?
How does it affect performance, especially fuel mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never measured the square footage. I did the wiring to put a skull third brake light only. I wouldn’t tow a Yogi Bear picnic basket with this thing. I have the bigger motor AWD. If I drive 55 miles per hour with minimal traffic it says I’m getting 30mpg, take it up to 60 plus MPH where most traffic is going at least that it says 25 mpg. Not to mention it’s a dog with no acceleration not towing anything but a grocery bag. I had a v6 highlander and wanted a rav4, I bought this because they offered me a good deal on it. Absolutely hate it shutting down at every light even though you can hit the button to stop it, it’s annoying every time you get in it! Way underpowered with crappy gas mileage. I should just use Turtle Wax on it, since it moves like a turtle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to tow my 5'x8' utility trailer with a Mitsubishi Mirage that had 78 horsepower so I think my 2.0 EcoSport tows just fine. The trailer weighs around 700 lbs and has a 5'x5' mesh ramp sticking up in the back, so it adds some wind resistance. I keep the shifter in S and lock it in 5th gear on the highway. I probably lose 5 mpg but I haven't tried a long trip with the trailer. The more low rpm torque of the 1.0 turbo would probably help your car maintain speed without having to downshift.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I never measured the square footage. I did the wiring to put a skull third brake light only. I wouldn’t tow a Yogi Bear picnic basket with this thing. I have the bigger motor AWD. If I drive 55 miles per hour with minimal traffic it says I’m getting 30mpg, take it up to 60 plus MPH where most traffic is going at least that it says 25 mpg. Not to mention it’s a dog with no acceleration not towing anything but a grocery bag. I had a v6 highlander and wanted a rav4, I bought this because they offered me a good deal on it. Absolutely hate it shutting down at every light even though you can hit the button to stop it, it’s annoying every time you get in it! Way underpowered with crappy gas mileage. I should just use Turtle Wax on it, since it moves like a turtle.

You can buy a module that plugs into the wiring behind the auto shut off switch that will over ride the computer and prevent engine shut off until you deactivate it.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/products/2018-ford-ecosport-autostop-eliminator

Use this code to get 10% off - AutoVlog

I have it installed and like how it works. here is a link to their video on how to install it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts