2018+ Ford EcoSport banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from a history of entry-level vehicles from the 90's and early 00's that didn't have halogen headlamps come standard, then this is a big deal.

This is just about one of the best thing that can happen for us when it comes to lighting. Just like those vehicles I owned, this too is entry-level.

Standard halogen headlamps include quad beams. The SE, SES and Titanium models have daytime running lamps and LED signature lighting.
- Ford USA

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll end up replacing all of the lighting anyhow... but I do like that LED signature lighting piece. So... I guess I'll be looking at those three models (SE, SES, Titanium)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Halogen bulbs aren't the brightest, but changing them out for LEDs isn't really that hard or expensive. Ford is probably using them because they're simple and cost effective.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While they aren't the brightest they are far better in a projector than without. And i'm speaking from experience since one of my vehicles from the 90's had projectors with halogen bulbs. Swapping halogens out HID bulbs is the easy part, putting in projectors isn't nearly as easy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The problem with sticking LEDs and HIDs even in non-projector headlights is the massive light spread you get from all those reflectors. It's not longer focused beams, just light everywhere including in oncoming drivers eyes regardless of how unintentional.

LED bulbs now last phenomenally longer than any HID kit will last you which is great. Doesn't get as hot (they still get hot), there are HID kits out there that'll promise you 5000 hours of usage, and there are LED bulbs that'll last you 50,000 hours lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think HID lights may be illegal depending on where you are because there's a lot of glare above the horizontal plane. Does the same applied to LED lights too?

·
Registered
251 Posts
If they are in a non-projector housing, then they will do the same. The glare is what makes them unacceptable and it does make sense, I've come across many vehicles that had HID lighting in their non-projector headlights and you're essentially blinded until they pass you for a certain point in time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does the Ecosport use projector housing for the halogen headlamps? It's not really cost effective to change out the whole unit just to get LED.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Seen pictures of a 17' that doesn't have projectors.. Typically halogens don't come with it. Maybe a different region won't have it and the US may...? Wishful thinking I know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seen pictures of a 17' that doesn't have projectors.. Typically halogens don't come with it. Maybe a different region won't have it and the US may...? Wishful thinking I know.

It comes down to design and that's the older design. No word if other markets are getting the same design were are but there's no reason they wouldn't. Easiest thing for Ford to do is streamline the entire process globally.

For reference, here's a 2014 EcoSport:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Definitely is the easier method but typically I see the Euro market getting different variations of headlights than other places.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if you've been paying attention to what's happening on that end of the world you'll see they have been getting an EcoSport for a number of years now, and that's the design we're seeing sometimes. So whenever they decide to phase out that design and usher in the new one, that's when things will be streamlined.

Odds are it will happen at the same time as us, little reason why they should do otherwise.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ecosport Titanium 2.0
22 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Titanium. I upgraded the head and fog lamps with Sylvania ZXE halogens. They are a cheaper option than LEDS, and are a improvement over the stock lights. I did upgrade all the interior bulbs, license plate, and back up lights to LEDS. Much brighter and whiter light.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts