2018+ Ford EcoSport banner

Spare tire!

43K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  raywohlfarth99 
#1 ·
So apparently the new trend is not to have a tire at all, I'm just flabbergasted.

That being said, any advice on options to be able to carry one? Would LOVE to figure out how to install one on the gate, but my Google-Fu sucks. How I stumbled here.

Like the ride, needed something decent on gas, live in the country and have giant breed dogs. So she fit for what needed, but just floored no spare.

#2 ·
Where we live flat tires are very common and I've got no faith in the goop that Ford supplies to fix the flat temporarily. We've put a full size steel rim mounted with a tire in the back. It just fits laying down but takes up almost all of the space in the back. We also included a jack and lug wrench. It sucks to eliminate most of the storage in the rear, but we really need that spare tire in our neck of the woods...

#3 · (Edited)
You could also consider hitch mounted spare racks, as that will prevent you from using up all the boot space. Only issue would be getting access to the boot if you left it on all the time. Curt has one. Since the older models had a spare on the hatch have you looked into salvage yards? Keep in mind it was only available on base models.

#5 ·
Has anybody thought to put a spare on the roof? Since a spare would take up most of your cargo space, it's not ideal to keep one there. Just a thought, but something I'm considering. I know there are cargo baskets and boxes you can get, so wouldn't one of these be able to work for a spare on the roof?

#6 ·
The EcoSports that are sold in many countries (India, Nepal, China, Mexico, etc) are all sold with a full-size spare tire mounted to the
rear swing-gate. In fact - that's probably why this vehicle has a swing gate (versus a more widely accepted lift-up cargo gate).

Buying the OEM hardware to mount a spare to the swing gate is fairly straightforward and relatively inexpensive (Mercado Libre which
is like Ebay in Mexico, etc). I have thought of doing this because I really need to have a spare wheel/tire when driving in Mexico.

But the problem with doing this lies in then having to relocate the license plate bracket (not a big deal) and the rearview camera
(potentially a big deal?).

I'd love to hear from someone who has pursued this approach...

#9 ·
The EcoSports that are sold in many countries (India, Nepal, China, Mexico, etc) are all sold with a full-size spare tire mounted to the
rear swing-gate. In fact - that's probably why this vehicle has a swing gate (versus a more widely accepted lift-up cargo gate).

Buying the OEM hardware to mount a spare to the swing gate is fairly straightforward and relatively inexpensive (Mercado Libre which
is like Ebay in Mexico, etc). I have thought of doing this because I really need to have a spare wheel/tire when driving in Mexico.

But the problem with doing this lies in then having to relocate the license plate bracket (not a big deal) and the rearview camera
(potentially a big deal?).

I'd love to hear from someone who has pursued this approach...
We have just added a spare to a 2019 model and I have attached what it takes to do it.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Ford did build some EcoSports for sale in the USA with a spare tire mounted on the back door and has the camera. It requires a new backdoor designed for the spare tire mount.

Here is the VIN for one that is in a junk yard. MAJ3P1RE3JC221708

Link to the parts to convert???

Bottom half of the parts page is the back door for spare tire.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...sport--titanium--1-0l-l3-gas/body--cargo-door

Photos of the car in the junk yard.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/VnoAAOSwtPNeswk5/s-l1600.jpghttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Back-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

#16 ·
Thanks. Will check this out. Some of this is expected due to where I live, but it's been ridiculous lately. And this costs me not just OOP dollars but PTO time from work (of which luckily I currently have some surplus-- but still would prefer not to use so much leave in such a short time dealing with for flat tires).

Any spare that would fit well enough to get me into town to at least check if the flat is reparable would be better than getting stuck on Halloween/Sat night and having to leave my car and wait till Monday morning to figure things out.The crazy thing is these are brand new tires bought in August, and have had punctures and slices in three of them now. They say punctures aren't covered. I kept the best tire of the old set, which was going to go onto a used rim, if I could find one. Now it's going where the ruined tire is. I'm less than two weeks from putting on my snows, and having just bought this new set in August, hoping to be good for a while, I really don't want to hear them try to sell me four new ones again this soon, because it's AWD, blah, blah, blah... But meanwhile I'm still going to be taking a risk for the next 10 days without anything, wondering if the 4th one is going to go on me next! Would really like to have the security of having something (and I don't mind sacrificing some of the back space) to put on there.

#17 ·
I went to ebay after reading a post from another user on this issue. my brand new tire exploded when i touched a curb making a u turn at low speed and the goop is useless with sidewall. Thankfully I was blocks from home and I drove the car back on the flat tire. The stock tires are an embarrassment (even to ford) and the goop is just a fix a flat rip off. So reach out to this guy he was great and tested the things out for me before sending. I feel alot safer driving long distances with this conveniently in the back of the vehicle. Cheap and quick solution. Run flats will cost about 1000 buck vs this for a 100 bucks. You lose little space as you can put stuff (like jumper cables etc) inside the spare tire rim and it all fits under the carpeted cover.

Ford Focus SVT Spare Tire Wheel OEM Doughnut Compact 2002 2003 2004 and scissor jack

#20 ·
Here it is.I like having it under the back cover of my 2019 ecosport. at least I wont be stuck on the highway waiting for a tow truck cause I don't have a spare tire. 75 bucks.

#22 ·
I am happy with the basic 16 inch donut spare that fits snuggly in back under the cargo mat. The stock BF goodrich tires are 180 a piece but pop like a cheap balloon if you hit a curb at 5 miles an hour. Its like have a hockey play with basketball sneakers. Amazing run flats are the same price. I swapped to a 60 dollar tire, it works fine and been looking for options. going from stock 17 inch to 16 inch helps a little to allow a larger wider tire but thats 2k to do that and you still need some spacers to get adult SUV tires. that being said I'd see how much lift could be obtained safely and factor that cost and see if big tires can fit. I just decided to go with standard donut spare and 60 tires and drive like a man. Leave the BF goodrich tires for resale. LOL!

#24 ·
Check out the following, they ship to the U.S. It's worth the price. Considering the price of a wheel, tire, TPMS valve, jack, etc. This what you get:

Space saver wheel and tyre
  • Jack - 2 tonne with universal swivel head
  • Telescopic wheel brace - with interchangeable sockets included
  • Wheel bag - for easy and clean temporary storage of your car's punctured wheel
  • Head torch
  • Kneeling mat
  • Warning triangle
  • Rain poncho
  • High-vis jacket
  • Gloves
  • Storage bag
Road Hero Spare Wheel Kit to fit Ford EcoSport (from 2003 onwards) available from Road Hero Spare Wheel Kit to fit Ford EcoSport (from 2003 onwards) (RH168) | Carnoisseur

#25 ·
Check out the following, they ship to the U.S. It's worth the price. Considering the price of a wheel, tire, TPMS valve, jack, etc. This what you get:

Space saver wheel and tyre
  • Jack - 2 tonne with universal swivel head
  • Telescopic wheel brace - with interchangeable sockets included
  • Wheel bag - for easy and clean temporary storage of your car's punctured wheel
  • Head torch
  • Kneeling mat
  • Warning triangle
  • Rain poncho
  • High-vis jacket
  • Gloves
  • Storage bag
Road Hero Spare Wheel Kit to fit Ford EcoSport (from 2003 onwards) available from Road Hero Spare Wheel Kit to fit Ford EcoSport (from 2003 onwards) (RH168) | Carnoisseur
Thank you for the time you took to look that up. I went big. I bought a full size rim, a full size tire, a regular scissor jack and a tire iron. Everything sits in the space that the inflation kit used to sit in except the spare. It sits in the cargo area With a vinyl cover. I dont care about cargo space because the car is a commuter. Thanks again!