2018+ Ford EcoSport banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i just bought a second hand ecosport, the new model from april 2018.
this week i discovered that the odometer shows fewer kilometers per hour than the real speed, it deviates 10%.
normally odometers show more than the real speed but this is dangerous for speedtickets :).
I thought it might be the tires measure but the car dealer said the 16 inch are standard.
They can't find a way to adjust the odometer to the real speed.
Does anyone recognize this problem and perhaps have a solution?

greetings, Mike from holland

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know its okay for speedometer to read higher than real speed, but I do not believe its acceptable for it to read slower. Generally 4% is the accepted deviation. https://www.thrillist.com/cars/your-speedometer-is-wrong-speed-calibration-inaccuracy-in-german-american-and-japanese-cars
Now it gets really crazy. The European Union requires adherence to UN ECE Regulation 39. It’s a lot of math, but the simple version is that no speedometer can read slower than the actual speed. Ever

·
Registered
87 Posts
hi
i just bought a second hand ecosport, the new model from april 2018.
this week i discovered that the odometer shows fewer kilometers per hour than the real speed, it deviates 10%.
normally odometers show more than the real speed but this is dangerous for speedtickets :).
I thought it might be the tires measure but the car dealer said the 16 inch are standard.
They can't find a way to adjust the odometer to the real speed.
Does anyone recognize this problem and perhaps have a solution?

greetings, Mike from holland

Are the tires on the vehicle the standard size? While they're 16" the diameter can vary quite a bit if the tire size is non-standard, and that will cause your speedometer to give a false reading. It was interesting to me that our Ecosports that came equipped with 17" tires had a smaller diameter than the SE that came with the 16" tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Were you aware of this issue prior to purchasing or is this just something that you have recently become aware of? Was it bought form an actual Ford dealership? I don't see how this is something they can let stand. In the interim you could rely on an external speedo from a gps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
problem solved

By accident i discovered the cause of the problem.
I used 2 different app's to check the speed but i used them when my iPhone was connected with Ford Carplay through the usb connector.
When i use the app's without connection they show the right speed.
One way or another the app's are influenced by Ford Carplay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts