2018+ Ford EcoSport banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ecosport Titanium 2.0
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if I have a complaint or concern or not. My wife's new Ecosport only has 160 miles on it. Most of that is under 35 mph because she is only 2 miles from work going through residential neighborhoods. I just filled the tank, and only got 16.5 mpg. I know this will improve once the car is broken in, but I was suprised it was that low. What early mileage figures did others experience? Will I reach the advertised (23 or so) mileage claims?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't know if I have a complaint or concern or not. My wife's new Ecosport only has 160 miles on it. Most of that is under 35 mph because she is only 2 miles from work going through residential neighborhoods. I just filled the tank, and only got 16.5 mpg. I know this will improve once the car is broken in, but I was suprised it was that low. What early mileage figures did others experience? Will I reach the advertised (23 or so) mileage claims?
My driving scenario is quite different from yours, but from day 1 I have NEVER gotten mpg anywhere nearly as low as what you report. The lowest mpg I've ever gotten is about 28-29 mpg. Highest is 34.4 mpg. Typically, most tank fulls return 31.2-32.4 mpg. I have a 2018 Ecosport SES (with the larger engine, and AWD), with 20K miles on it now. Most of my driving is 50/50 on rural state hwy (50 mph) and interstate (65-70 mph), with a small amount of stop/go and traffic.

I do have a question for you - did you reset the trip computer, before driving this first 160 miles? Because if not, then the 16.5 mpg might be including time that the vehicle was spent pre-delivery to you...idling, etc. That would lower your mpg considerably.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We've had our 2018 since new and now have 30 K miles... mileage has been 27 MPG average for everyday use, i.e. some local trips, some 30-minute trips, a few road trips to Canada. I find 27 underwhelming for a 2L-4 cyl as my 17-year-old CTS with a 3.2L-6 cyl gets better mileage (only slightly, but still better).

I suspect your combination of new and short trips is limiting the mileage. It will get better but 2 miles is barely enough to get the engine warm (especuially in winter if you live in the northern half).

·
Registered
87 Posts
28-29 mpg is our experience. With 2 mile trips the engine probably doesn't warm up to normal operating temperature... that could be a reason why the low mpg figure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
28-29 mpg is our experience. With 2 mile trips the engine probably doesn't warm up to normal operating temperature... that could be a reason why the low mpg figure.
I have a 2019 for 9 months. The sales monkey told me it’s full time AWD. That being said just this week I pushed the traction control off as I drove down an uninterrupted highway. I locked the cruise control at 55 mph. According to the car display I got 39 mpg. I had a Toyota Highlander prior to this and the gas mileage was not that great BUT you had to push a button to turn on AWD, not that it’s ON ALL THE TIME UNTIL YOU TURN IT OFF! How hard is it Ford engineering to figure out I know if it’s snowing or raining I can engage it, if not leave it OFF until I do so I don’t wear out four tires at a time and get better gas mileage??????
Try doing it I’m sure you’ll see the difference. Btw I have almost 7k on it now, the mileage did improve after break in to 29-30 mpg.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The sales monkey told me it’s full time AWD
I could be wrong but I don't believe it is full time AWD. Like my Escape, I believe that the computer constantly monitors and feeds drive to whichever wheels need it. If you're just driving down a flat road, all the power is probably going to just the two front wheels. If you're accelerating, the power will be going to all four wheels, for example. Even so, it would be nice to just be able to disable it when you, the human, don't think you need it.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ecosport Titanium 2.0
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update! Checked it second time at 300 miles. Got about 22mpg this time. Dencke 1 was probably right that I did not reset the trip computer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My understanding of the drive system in the EcoSport is that it is primarily front-wheel drive, with the computer monitoring the traction of the four wheels full-time. If/when there is slippage detected in any of the wheels, the power is applied to the other wheels. Thus - it is a full-time AWD system. This doesn't mean that power is being applied to all four wheels all the time, but rather that the computer is monitoring the four wheels full time. I remember reading somewhere in the Ford marketing literature that the wheels are monitored 40 times per second?

FYI - there is a nifty option in one of the driver-console computer menus, where you can actually monitor in real-time the slippage/power that is being applied to each of the four wheels. Check it out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gas mileage goes up on longer trips! Usually short trips only show low mpg! Use the app Fuelly to track accurate mpg!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts