2018+ Ford EcoSport banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Why should Ford hatchbacks have all the hooning fun? Ford performance chief Dave Pericak may have asked himself the same question and found that there may be an opportunity for RS badged performance-focused SUV and crossovers in the Blue Oval’s future.

Speaking with Car Dealer Magazine, Pericak definitely thinks there’s a market for an RS SUV so long as it lives up to the badge and performs as expected.

“I think customers love performance. I think the definition of what that means for an SUV might be different than what it means for a Focus or for a Fiesta. But I think that we’ve seen, even in the US and globally, that people like aggressive-looking cars, they like sporty, they want the power and pick-up and engine improvement, so I think the answer is yes. SUV customers would appreciate performance, for sure.”

There’s already a few performance SUVs in the market including the Audio SQ5 and SQ7, Porsche Macan and Cayenne, and other automakers are starting to join the fray. But the segment is not oversaturated yet and there aren’t that many “credible” performance SUVs out there.

So the market is ripe for the picking and Ford’s Focus RS has already paved the way for the potential expansion of the RS brand. Maybe we’ll see an RS badged EcoSport in the future.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The EcoSport isn't an SUV in that category and shouldn't be treated like one either. It's a compact SUV or a CUV. They'd be better off utilizing the Explorer or even Expedition.

·
Registered
134 Posts
An RS model would be a good way to put the "Sport" in the EcoSport. I'm sure the 1.0-liter turbocharged three-cylinder and 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines are fine for daily commutes, but they aren't what I would consider sporty.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Ford Explorer and Expedition are great vehicles, but their image doesn't really fit the RS badge so the EcoSport is a more likely candidate. As far as I can recall, the last few models with the RS badges were small hatchbacks and sedans, nothing too large.

·
Registered
251 Posts
For sure, but the only reason I made the Explorer and Expedition options is because the above was stating to essentially join the performance SUV category that includes vehicles like the Cayenne, and SQ7 which I believe are bigger than the EcoSport is.

If they plan on competing in the performance range at all, I think they'll have to ditch that 1.0 and possibly even the 2.0 and up to a v6 of some sort.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, I do like the 3.5-L twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 that's sitting in the 2017 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor... 450 horsepower and 510 lb-f of torque on hand sounds like a dream EcoSport RS. But that's not going to happen.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's definitely a dream, and I share that dream as well haha but we both no that will never happen. If it does, it'll be some sort of concept at SEMA but I even doubt that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My take on it is, it just won't happen. This wasn't even much of an indication of it being an EcoSport. Explorer could be it or even the Escape. We have yet to see a car maker take a vehicle in this segment and turn it into a performance model. So that being the case its hard to suggest which engine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Guess you're right, an RS model needs a good foundation and the Ecosport platform may not be up to the challenge. Maybe we'll see a RS crossover based on the Focus RS instead?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Something like that is a lot more believable. The Ecosport platform just doesn't make sense in my opinion and wouldn't do well at all opposed to something like the Focus RS

·
Registered
134 Posts
Maybe something with the suspension, but nothing major like an engine overhaul. But I'm sure that won't stop people from putting a powerful engine under the hoods of various cars that were never designed for that many ponies, including the EcoSport.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Some suspension tweaks and maybe... if anything, even though I doubt it, an air intake. But that's as far as it'll really get. Everything else will be purely aesthetic.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When you say aesthetic changes, I'm just imagining a stanced EcoSport now with a huge front splitter. Something you'd find on Stance Nation. *shiver* but if anyone were to get close to coming out with a EcoSport RS, it'll be them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Lol oh god that would be horrendous. But no no I mean something more along the lines of very slightly lower, maybe some bigger wheels, possibly some sort of wrap around lip or something. Some sort of dumb suv spoiler haha

·
Registered
134 Posts
I always find lowered crossovers and SUVs counter productive, one of the things that makes the segment appealing is the ground clearance. Take that away and you have a hatchback.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree with that. But, it'll always happen. I recall seeing an Honda Odyssey in my area that's literally slammed on the ground. Just to show that people will lower anything and everything lol.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That doesn't surprise me and it's more likely to happen with affordable cars like the Ecosport as the money saved can go towards their mod budget.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What made the Focus RS so notable aside from its engine was drift mode. Something that shouldn't be in a tall car like the EcoSport because that's just an accident waiting to happen.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts