2018+ Ford EcoSport banner

Three Interesting EcoSport Facts

9K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  GoGreen 
#1 ·
Just found this snippet from Deccan Chronicle about the EcoSport and three things we may not know about it.

Aerodynamic pillar-kicker on the D-pillar to remove any chance of an air vacuum occurring at the rear when the car moves.

1-litre Ecoboost Engine is small enough to fit in an A4-sized paper! Yup, it's that tiny, but can still produce 125PS of power.

Boron Steel Construction is four times stronger than normal steel but it's lighter and used in key areas for increased safety.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'll have more confidence in that body once i see it being tested but so far everything going for it is good enough for anyone to buy it on impulse. Yes there are alternatives on the market but so far Ford has been doing a lot of things right lately on top of that the EcoSport is already sold and successful in other parts of the world.

#5 ·
The front bumper will still collapse in the crash as they're meant to crumple, what will test the Boron steel is a side crash test to see how much cabin intrusion there will be. If Boron steel is really that great, is it being used currently in a lot of Ford vehicles?

#9 ·
Both Chromoly and Titanium comes at an increase in cost so neither material will appear on an affordable model like the EcoSport. Not sure about titanium, but Chromoly steel is used when you need more strength than what mild carbon steel can provide. Not sure how it stacks against Boron steel.

#10 ·
That's getting into very technical details that most people won't really care all that much about. What's interesting is the engine since a modified version of it is in a Formula Ford racing car. Does that mean there's huge tuning potential for the one in the Ecosport?

#14 · (Edited)
123hp is far from what I would call pretty powerful. It may perform almost like a 1.4L MultiAir but... I mean it's not much.

In regards to competing with cars of higher displacements. The engine is only a minor part of that equation considering the race car is the most important part. Speed is relative to power:weight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.