2018+ Ford EcoSport banner

what can Ford improve on?

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Dencke1 
#1 ·
I'm starting this thread after finding out the EcoSport we're getting has existed overseas for many years already, 6 to be exact. Owners in those parts of the world have talked about build quality concerns relating to the interior. Also with the interior, is an abundance of plastic which is not a good look, especially when trying to convince its home market to buy this new entry-level product over others.

To any owners out there, what concerns do you have that should be addressed in future year models?

#3 ·
I already like the body style on the Ecosports more than my 2018 Escape. The one thing I'd really like to see is a spare tire option for all of the Ecosport configurations. Where I live we average a flat tire or two every year so it is kind of risky having nothing but that stuff you fill the tire with to hopefully temporarily be able to finish going wherever you're going when your tire goes flat. Secondly, I'd like to see better fuel economy for a vehicle of this size... without sacrificing power.

#5 ·
More power! Every review bashes the underpowered 1.0 EcoBoost. I have the 1.0L, it's not terrible and I average better fuel economy than the window sticker.
In the US, we get the 123HP version. Why not the 140 HP version? Comparing similar models, The Chevy Trax, Honda HRV, Buick Encore all have 140HP engines.
I know it would add costs, but also why not the 1.5L EcoBoost as the upscale engine choice? Having 179HP 1.5 EcoBoost would pit the Ecosport right in the top for performance vs competition of the Hyundai Kona and Jeep Renegade.
Also Ford could improve on the safety features of the Ecosport. It gets bad reviews because of lack of safety stuff like emergency braking, and lane keep assist, and adaptive cruise.
I own a 2019 Ford Ecosport Titanium. I owned a 2014 Ford Fiesta. I thought my Fiesta had fantastic headlights on it. Seemed very bright. I'm disappointed with lighting quality of this Ecosport. I'm already looking at installing aftermarket HID or LED headlights.

#8 ·
I agree with the comment about having a spare tire option. I drive my EcoSport down to Mexico each winter, and the roads
down there are guaranteed to give you a flat tire sooner or later. And usually it's a sidewall failure (due to a large pothole or
speed bump), so the inflator kit does you no good at all. Which is probably why when the Ecosport is sold in countries such
as India, Mexico, Nepal, etc - there is always a full size spare tire (mounted on the tailgate). I have thought of adding a
spare tire to my tailgate - but I think that would interfere with the backup camera. not sure how to handle that.

As far as the comment about more power, I have the SES model with the 2.0L engine, and I have no complaints whatsoever
with the power, acceleration, handling, etc. I should note, however, that typically I am driving with just me in the vehicle.
Perhaps if I was driving with 4 or 5 occupants, and/or a lot of heavy cargo, then I would feel it is underpowered.

As far as the interior design/plastics - again, I have the SES model, and I think the interior is really nice. The entire main
upper dashboard is a soft material, which you don't find in other competing vehicles in this class. I like the instrumentation
layout, especially the selectable colors for the ambient lighting. The [heated] steering wheel is sweet - love the size and
feel. Seats are comfortable, adjust well. Perhaps an electric lumbar (versus manual) would be nice. The 8" Synch-3 touch
screen is awesome in every way (once you figure out all the options). The cup holders work well (and I love the colored "ring"
lighting). The cubbies are plentiful. I like the spot above the glove compartment to place a cell phone (as well as the pockets
on the side of the seats).

As far as color scheme - I initially wasn't a big fan of the orange accent trim. But I've gotten used to it now, and it's OK. It
definitely exudes a "youthful" vibe. When folks get into the vehicle for the first time, there's always a "wow, this is nice"
comment.

The one item in the interior that should be improved (and which drove me crazy from the start) is the size/height of the center armrest.
For me, it was completely useless - too skinny, too short, too low. So one of the first things I did was buy a universal center console lid
which was wider/larger than the one in the EcoSport. I then fastened this onto the top of the stock center console. It looks so much better
and functions perfectly (and doesn't interfere with ability to open/access the console).

One interior instrumentation item that I have had in other vehicles and would like to see in the EcoSport is a "mute" button on the
steering wheel. Often there is a need to mute the audio briefly, and it's a pain to have to scroll the volume all the way down (then
back up again). My hyundai had a one-push mute on/off button on the steering wheel.

That's about it for me! In case it's not obvious from the above - I'm really enjoying my 2018 EcoSport SES. Based on all the bad reviews
I read, my expectations for this vehicle were low. But I've been pleasantly surprised so far by my excellent ownership experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.