Ford Ecosport RS In The Works - 2018+ Ford EcoSport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Ford Ecosport RS In The Works

Why should Ford hatchbacks have all the hooning fun? Ford performance chief Dave Pericak may have asked himself the same question and found that there may be an opportunity for RS badged performance-focused SUV and crossovers in the Blue Oval’s future.

Speaking with Car Dealer Magazine, Pericak definitely thinks there’s a market for an RS SUV so long as it lives up to the badge and performs as expected.

“I think customers love performance. I think the definition of what that means for an SUV might be different than what it means for a Focus or for a Fiesta. But I think that we’ve seen, even in the US and globally, that people like aggressive-looking cars, they like sporty, they want the power and pick-up and engine improvement, so I think the answer is yes. SUV customers would appreciate performance, for sure.”

There’s already a few performance SUVs in the market including the Audio SQ5 and SQ7, Porsche Macan and Cayenne, and other automakers are starting to join the fray. But the segment is not oversaturated yet and there aren’t that many “credible” performance SUVs out there.

So the market is ripe for the picking and Ford’s Focus RS has already paved the way for the potential expansion of the RS brand. Maybe we’ll see an RS badged EcoSport in the future.
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 AM

The EcoSport isn't an SUV in that category and shouldn't be treated like one either. It's a compact SUV or a CUV. They'd be better off utilizing the Explorer or even Expedition.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:56 AM

An RS model would be a good way to put the "Sport" in the EcoSport. I'm sure the 1.0-liter turbocharged three-cylinder and 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines are fine for daily commutes, but they aren't what I would consider sporty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:59 AM

The Ford Explorer and Expedition are great vehicles, but their image doesn't really fit the RS badge so the EcoSport is a more likely candidate. As far as I can recall, the last few models with the RS badges were small hatchbacks and sedans, nothing too large.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 PM

For sure, but the only reason I made the Explorer and Expedition options is because the above was stating to essentially join the performance SUV category that includes vehicles like the Cayenne, and SQ7 which I believe are bigger than the EcoSport is.

If they plan on competing in the performance range at all, I think they'll have to ditch that 1.0 and possibly even the 2.0 and up to a v6 of some sort.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:49 AM

Well, I do like the 3.5-L twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 that's sitting in the 2017 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor... 450 horsepower and 510 lb-f of torque on hand sounds like a dream EcoSport RS. But that's not going to happen.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 02:24 PM

That's definitely a dream, and I share that dream as well haha but we both no that will never happen. If it does, it'll be some sort of concept at SEMA but I even doubt that.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:31 AM

What do you think is a possible engine Ford could put in the EcoSport RS?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:01 PM

My take on it is, it just won't happen. This wasn't even much of an indication of it being an EcoSport. Explorer could be it or even the Escape. We have yet to see a car maker take a vehicle in this segment and turn it into a performance model. So that being the case its hard to suggest which engine.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Guess you're right, an RS model needs a good foundation and the Ecosport platform may not be up to the challenge. Maybe we'll see a RS crossover based on the Focus RS instead?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page