With or Without Rear Tire Cover? - 2018+ Ford EcoSport Forum
View Poll Results: With or Without Rear Tire Cover?
With 3 100.00%
Without 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

With or Without Rear Tire Cover?

Seen pictures of the EcoSport with and without the rear tire cover and for the first time in my life I prefer a CUV without the cover. Why? With the cover it look badly proportioned and just out of place, without the cover it flows much more naturally.

Lots of visual examples out there for anyone that needs it and from different markets, this is a global product...
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:22 AM

Tire covers? Are you referring to the hub cap or an actual cover for tire storage?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Cover for the rear tire that mounts on the rear hatch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 AM

I'd go with a cover even if it makes the rear look disproportionate, more for protection from the elements than anything. Why submit the tire to sun, rain and snow which harden the rubber faster?
Tall Timbers likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econobox View Post
I'd go with a cover even if it makes the rear look disproportionate, more for protection from the elements than anything. Why submit the tire to sun, rain and snow which harden the rubber faster?
Valid point but overall you should always try to keep your car out of the sun because it have a similar impact on the paint, rubber seals, etc. Unless you're leasing this and don't care much about what will happen 5-6+ years down the road.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 03:01 PM

Storing the car indoors is not always an option for me, not when the garage only fits one car and there's three in the waiting line. The paint will take some damage over time, but it's still nice to reduce what wear you can on soft parts like tires.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

In that case you just have to put in a lot of extra car and attention to what's happening. Someone I know in a similar situation gets their car waxed every month and washes it about every 3-4 days. That alone will keep the paint alive, there's more you can do but that's as basic as it gets.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 10:53 AM

I'm not one to wax vehicles and most of the time it's stored in a garage. But this is about the spare tires mounted on the back. A cover is all you need on top of checking the tire pressure now and then.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:58 AM

Rear Door Mounted Spare Tire?

You can hash over the merits of putting a Cover over the Rear Door Mounted Spare Tire but more importantly, why get it at all? Very few Vehicle offer this design anymore. Why? Simple! Previous Vehicles with this design cause major damage when the Rear Spare Tire comes in contact with another Vehicle or fixed object. Even the slightest touch causes thousands of dollars damage to rear hatch door. Honda CR-V, Rave 4, an a host of other CUV`s have ditched this concept years ago. Live with the Emergency Tire Inflator Kit or go to a Salvage Yard, buy a used compatiible Spare Donut Tire, get a Cover to fit it on Amazon an throw it into the rear of Vehicle for long trips. Forget the Jack Assembly. Tire failure? Call Ford Roadside Service or AAA to mount the Tire, simple!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 12:33 PM

I would go for the covered wheel. First of all, it looks better IMO. If you just don't like how the cover looks, buy another one from your dealer or online (eBay, Amazon have a lot of them). The second thing is weather protection. Weather can play a bad game with you causing cracks and weakening the rubber. Tires are pretty expensive these days, so the cover can save you a few hundreds of dollars for the new wheel.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page